AppKIDS – Celebrating 34 Years
Appalachian Kindness In Donations & Service
2014 AppKIDS is Friday, November 21, (Snow Date, Friday, December 5)
**Donation deadline for 2014 is Thursday, November 6th**
Check, cash, or payroll deductions contributions are accepted:
- Checks are payable to ASU Staff Senate with "AppKIDS donation" in the memo line
- 2014 donation goal is $15,000
- Donations are tax deductible
- Send donations to Staff Senate Treasurer, Kerri McCaffrey at ASU Box 9137, Boone, NC 28608 or interoffice to NCACHE / Edwin Duncan Hall
- Want to use payroll deduction? ASU employees may donate as little as $5 per month (6-month minimum pledge)
- Use ASU Self Service
- (Logon>Self Service tab>Employee tab>ASU Foundation Payroll Deduction);
- on campus contact extensions x2039 or x6812
AppKIDS, organized by a Staff Senate committee, is an annual event for financially disadvantaged children from Watauga County Schools to help them obtain new winter clothing. Ninety children, Kindergarten through 12 grade, come from nine area schools and have been identified by their school counselors as being from families in need. Appalachian faculty and staff, using donated funds, volunteer their time to mentor and escort these children on AppKIDS Day as they purchase winter clothing for the children such as coats, boots, and pants.
Volunteer "Shoppers" and "Drivers" needed for AppKIDS Day
Register to volunteer. Please be sure to volunteer as a Shopper or a Driver, maybe both. You will need to sign in with your ASU log-in information to access the sign-up form for volunteering.
Questions about volunteering?
Contact Janice Voss, email@example.com, 828-262-2693.
- "Shoppers" mentor a child or teen as they shop for clothing with donated funds. Shoppers volunteer an entire public school day of 7:45am to 3pm, or 3:30 if escorting a high school student.
- "Drivers" pick up children at an assigned school and deliver them to a particular location on campus to meet the child's assigned "Shopper." Drivers volunteer from about 7:30-8:30am or 8:15-8:45am depending on the school assigned.
AppKIDS Committee Members
Chair: Cindy Trivette
Members: Diana Barbee, Cindy Day, Tammie Gelderman, Tony Grant, Kara Harmon, Diane Lowenburg, Vivian Meadows, Andrea Mitchell, Rebekah Saylors, Cathy Scott, Janice Smith, Janice Voss, and Cathy Ziegler.
Give A Shout Out To Staff
If you know of a staff member who deserves additional praise for going above and beyond the realm of their job, SHOUT IT OUT HERE!
The Staff Senate has created a 100% guaranteed anonymous suggestion box.